Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Irish Rover


I am sort of leaning across the floor to post this. I painted the floor in front of my computer this morning and spent the day outside in the glorious first real nice day of the year. The floor is still a little tacky, but, let me wish you a very happy Saint Patricks Day and I hope you enjoy this piece. The Irish Rover by the Pogues in all their glory, circa 1987 with the Dubliners....
If you know a little about me, you'll understand that this is my day in more ways than one! We are still trying to find the true spelling of my family name. The guys at Ellis Island in the 1860's never were able to figure out how to spell it and as far as we can figure out, it was O'huigch and pronounced like you were clearing your throat.

4 comments:

mud_rake said...

Excellent choice, O'Microdot! As you may have read, I haven't a drop of Irish blood in me [that I can trace to 1600] but nonetheless, a 'bell' goes off inside of me when I hear Irish tunes.

Last night I visited my son and grandsons and when we opened the door, Irish tunes filled the house. The older grandson then burst into an Irish jig on the kitchen floor!

I must trace my lineage back further, but I am stuck at the French 7th grandfather because those records are hard to access.

I do have a feeling that further back is Irish. My genome type is common in the British Isles and therefore surely there is some ancestor who drank a pint on 17 March.

microdot said...

On my mothers side, the Irish link commences at the end of the 16th century...They were a merchant family which emigrated from Strasbourg to escape the Religious Wars...they were Catholic. So the family is really Alsatian and originaly Hartweiler.
It is tragic that less thn a century later, they had to come to America because of Cromwell.
The Harts and the allied Irish families in America flourished....
Intermarrying with the Taneys and the Powers, all in the Chesapeake Bay region.
After the Revolutionary War, though,
My direct ancestora had to emigrate again because of misplaced allegiences...they were British supporters and had to go to Canada...Somehow this all links up to why I was born in Detroit, but there is an intersting side story involving the Rickenbacker Car Company.

Laci the Chinese Crested said...

My mother's side is indefinite as to where a few ancestors came from: there is a possibility of Scots-Irish, but it is mostly Pennsylvania German and Welsh-English.

I have an interesting Irish playlist of over 1339 files going from trad to punk (Bothy Band, Altan, Flogging Molly, Undertones, Stiff Little Fingers, the Pogues (of Course) along with Terry Woods.

BTW, Microdot, do you remember a Detroit band called Death? NPR had a story on it yesterday:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124710357&ps=cprs

microdot said...

Laci, I almost posted Floggin Molly performing Johnny Cash...Ring of Fire...they made it an Irish song!
Death...wow, I heard them once in the 70's before I moved to NYC. Now that I read the link you provided, I must hear MORE!!!!!