Friday, June 10, 2011

Les Radis

This is a variety of radish which I grow called Saveur. They're mild flavored, sweet with just a bit of heat. Radishes are so easy to grow and come to maturity vary quickly. I also have a line of Radi Noir...Black Radishes which are nick named, The Poor Mans Sausage, because they grow to the size of a Saucisson. They also have a black skin. I eat a lot of radishes, and the way we eat them is with salt, of course and buttered bread. 
I wanted to post about radishes because of a minor miracle which I attribute to these tasty little nuggets.
About 6 am in the morning, I wake from a sound sleep and habitually, I stretch my legs..In the last few years, I tended to suddenly get nasty cramps. I also was getting cramps after intensive biking. I was trying to figure out how to deal with them and was reading that nutrition can play a big role.
Most articles I read about nutrition claimed that vegetables and fruits high in magnesium and potassium could really help. Then I discovered, as well as having one of the highest concentrations of Vitamin C of any root vegetable, radishes are one of the best sources of potassium. About a week ago, I realized that my leg cramps have totally disappeared. Totally. I attribute this to the tasty radishes I eat every day...try it.

No comments: