Friday, December 09, 2011

La femme 100 têtes




This is a 'free' adaptation of Max Ernst's collage book "La femme 100 têtes", originally published in 1929. directed by Eric Duvivier in 1967.
The book consisted of a surrealist picture per page, with a little legend. But the story depended on the ability of the reader to interpret the collages, and was not relying that much on the legends. The book was about a woman who was living among ghosts and ants, and was an allegory of the immaculate conception.
For me, the collage "novels" of Ernst, which I "discovered" when I was a teen, were a gateway into the subconscious and the pathway to new forms of creativity and expression that still inspire and guide me today. I have both of his collage novels, Une Semaine de Bonte and La femme 100 tetes, aleways close at hand. This movie just went up on youtube and it is one of the reasons I find youtube and invaluable resource and amazing discovery!
Thus, even if that movie is in French, with no subs, it is possible, and even encouraged, to view it as a collage in motion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a third Max Ernst collage novel, Rêve d'une Jeune Fille qui Voulut Entrer au Carmel