Saturday, July 12, 2014

I Wanna Be Sedated

End of an era? I don't think so. The Ramones are timeless. They were self created caricatures of style they created and continues to influence the look of kids and the music they make 40 years later. I saw the Ramones in a seedy short lived club in a decaying strip mall on I-280 and Navarre Rd. in Oregon, Ohio in uhhh? 1976? There were perhaps 14 people in the place including the band. They still played, encased in a self contained universe, exactly as they would have at CBGB. For me, a kid in Ohio, sick of progressive and commercial music, for me, this was the kick in the ass I needed. Just 2 years later,  I was on stage at CBGB proving that attitude and amplitude was more than enough...
The last living member of the Ramones, founding member, drummer Tommy Ramone, died yesterday.
Tommy Ramone, nee Erdelyi Tamas was born in Budapest in 1952. 

No comments: