Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Territorial Pissing


Crap, it's been 15 years since Kurt Cobain was found dead of a self inflicted shot gun wound. He came from a dysfunctional broken American family in Aberdeen, Washington and somehow in the short arc of his carreer managed to reinvent rock music and perfect a system of psychic semaphore, wherein only a few words, a scream, could contain so much.
I think when Kurt died, I realized tht I would never be a teen ager for ever, it was over, I was over 40 already.
I played my last official gig as a rock musician only a few weeks later...I mean, it just wasn't fun anymore...
Still an inspiration.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I missed them completely. I only heard about him after his death. That's a good clip; reminds me of the Ramones.

microdot said...

Hmmm....
Well, they are both fast and loud...
but Nirvana was something else altogether.
Do you know The Foo Fighters?
The drummer of Nirvana is the singer and the guitarist of that band.

Unknown said...

I did get into the Foo Fighters just a couple years ago. Their album called In Your Honour, or something like that. I used to listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage on the internet. Do you know it? There I picked up several artists that I'd missed earlier, and some really new acts. Little Steven's great.

steve said...

The effects of the Nirvana "revolution" are still apperent in todays music, almost 20 years after Nirvana came on the scene. There's a lot better bands that represent the grunge movement IMO, but Nirvana and Pearl Jam brought grunge to the mainstream.. and in some ways my and later generations have been exposed to the grunge ethos's of environmentalism, anti free trade ect... I think you could argue that the Obama presidency could be a factor in the culmination of the Grunge movement because the youth vote was so important.