Friday, July 31, 2009

Led Boots


Well, I'm in blog post recovery...I have so many things I would like to write about and am trying to write a piece about the artist Rene Princeteau, who I think deserves a piece in Wikipedia and there is none!
But blog I must, and as I gradually hack my way out of the middle ages where my head has been for the last 2 weeks, I find myself overcome by anger and frustration with American politics. It would seem in only 2 weeks, the political situation in America has decayed incredibly.

The last 2 weeks, I dealt with thousands of grape vines. The 19 hectares of the Chateau Vieux Chevrol were being assailed by a mildew plague. If things remain as we left them and there is good weather, it will be a reasonably good harvest, but many vines were totally decimated by the fungus which turns the grapes brown, then dries them as if they were burnt. All have to be destroyed.
So 8 hours a day, sun, cold, heat and rain, I was working with a family of Moroccans and have increased my Moroccan vocabulary. I also worked with 2 others, French and Dutch.

I got a chance to do a bit of bike riding around the Pomerol and Lalande Pomerol region and rode to St. Emilion one day. Biking in that region is so nice, it is so flat and you get pushed by the wind. I found it pretty humorous that everytime I passed by the Chateau Petrus in Pomerol, where the most expensively marketed wine in the world is made, I would find a group of tourists posing in front of the sign.
The last time I rode by, there was car with a Belgian license and I was compelled to holler, "Hey, You're too late! Yesterday they were giving out free bottles!"

So, after 2 weeks away from all media...well, I did listen to BBC4 occasionaly, but that hardly counts, I as starting to check out my favorite blogs and comment, but here, at my own home, there is so much to do. Just weeding the vegetable garden!
Imagine not cutting your lawn for 2 weeks in the midst of a rainy summer!
I'm exhausted just thinking about it....
Soooo, here's Jeff Beck from his latest record, Live At Ronnie Scotts, recorded last year with is lovely 22 year old bassist, Tal Wilkenfeld playing Led Boots.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for a great video. I'm listening to it right now.

You two weeks in the countryside sounds great. Welcome back.

"Back to work, Frank." That's one of my favorite lines from the great movie The Gambler with James Caan. Do you know it?

microdot said...

I never saw that movie, but I have the line in my head....back to work, microdot!
I just watched the Beck video again...
This guy never fails to amaze me, the expressive tone he commands from his strat..one of the major finger pickers of all time, one of the most expressive guitarists ever...
The sick little squiggles he puts into every note, the horn
like modulation, the facile technique combined with the utter joy, quest for something new and better and his musical humor make Beck one of the players for the ages.
He's been one of my favoite artists since I first heard him in the Yardbirds playing Heart Full Of Soul in 1965.