Monday, July 29, 2013

Bon Anniversaire, Marcel!

Happy birthday to Marcel Duchamp! A pioneer of conceptual art and Dadaism, the artist famously said, “I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."If you have been following this blog, you have probably noticed that Duchamp is one of my heroes. He profoundly changed the way we look at, respond to and think about art in the early 20th Century. Did you know the Philadelphia Museum of Art houses the largest collection of Duchamp’s works in the world?
Image 1: "Nude Descending a Staircase (No. 1),"1911, Marcel Duchamp
Image 2: "The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Even (The Large Glass)," 1915-23, Marcel Duchamp
Image 3: “Fountain," 1950 (replica of 1917 original), Marcel Duchamp
Image 4: "Étant donnés," 1946–66, by Marcel Duchamp
Image 5: "Chocolate Grinder (No. 1)," 1913,Marcel Duchamp
Image 6: "Why Not Sneeze, Rose Sélavy?," 1921, Marcel Duchamp
Image 7: "Marcel Duchamp (Three-Quarter View)," 1933,Carl Van Vechten

1 comment:

Al said...

I am also a huge admirer of Duchamp. Thanks for the reminder of his birthday, which makes me want to go to the Tate Modern soon to see what they have of his.