Sunday, May 13, 2007

SONIC RENDEZVOUS


Sunday night and I have a lot of things kicking around in my head to write about, but then I have to go to a French class at 8 am and I'm still recovering from the 2 weeks of grape vines....
I just found this incredible music video on YouTube. It's Fred Smith's Sonic Rendezvous at the Masonic Temple in Detroit. This is the same Fred Smith who was a guitarist/song writer in the MC5 and later married to Patti Smith for years in East Detroit. She always invited members of the MC5 on stage to play. That's how they met, married and raised a family. The band also included the legendary Scott Morgan of the punk/soul rock band The Rationals. The Rationals were the first band to cover Ottis Redding's Respect back in 1965, before Aretha! It was a big hit in the midwest. Scott hit national fame for a few few months in 1968 with his solo #1 R&B ballad, I Needed You.
These guys played the clubs in the Detroit area for years until Fred's untimely death in the early 1990's which spurred Patti Smith out of retirement.
The song is City Slang. There is a great Sonic Rendezvous tribute album with Scott Morgan, Dennis Tek and Wayne Kramer, the other guitarist in the MC5, called Dodge and Main. I highly recommend it!

No comments: