Friday, October 23, 2009

Lunch With Soupy


 (I posted another clip as the one I originally wanted, was pulled by YouTube...this is just typical Soupy Sales with his puppet friends, Pooky the Lion and White Fang the dog...too bad the original clip was hilarious!)

One last post, I had to do this...
I just read that the comedian, Soupy Sales died today at the age of 83. Perhaps you heard of him? In later years, the dean of a thousand Friars Club Roasts, one of the corniest repositories of bad jokes on the planet. The face that took a thousand? Make that 10,000 pies.
Soupy started his career as the host of childrens show in Detroit. When I was a tyke, I started my day, before the mile walk to kindergarten at Warren G. Harding School in Northwest Detroit, I would watch Breakfast With Soupy...a bizarre ritual with dog paw hand puppets who were his pets, White Fang and Black Tooth, a cork in the wall that said "do not touch"...of course, every day, as part of the ritual, Soupy would walk over to the cork and pull it out and get squirted in the face.... then there would be screaming outside and he would open the door...only to get the ritual pie in the kisser...this went on for years...
Years went by and Soupy graduated to Lunch With Soupy...I was 9 years old and still would watch him at lunch, eating my cheese sandwich and tomato soup....one day the screams started, Soupy walked over to the door...............
Soupy had two sons, Hunt and Tony. In the late 60's, they had a band called Tony and The Tigers. Tony Sales played drumes, Hunt played bass. In the 70's they became the rythmn section of David Bowies touring bands and then the backbone of his band The Tin Machine...............
Okay, enough. a bientot!

1 comment:

-Sepp said...

We did a Soupy tribute hour here too via youtube. My mom was good friends with Soupy's sidekick Johnny Ginger and I spent plenty of evenings drinking with the guy and getting his Soupy stories the public didn't get to hear!