Friday, January 14, 2011

Hideaway


A 1990 performance by my favorite Norwegian guitarist, Terje Rypdal. Terje became famous in the 60's playing Norwegian Ventures style twang instrumental rock in a band called The Vanguards.
He is one of the most distinctive guitar stylists in music and a great modern composer. He has been playing jazz since the 70's and has recorded almost exclusively on ECM. This piece is pure fun, he gets to rock out with a big band playing Freddie Kings classic instrumental, Hideaway.

2 comments:

squatlo said...

microdot, I just went into the other room to tell my wife how much I love visiting your blog! The musical vids you post are ALWAYS killer, and most of the time I'm being exposed to great musicians I've never heard of... which, for a music junkie like me, is both surprising AND totally cool!
This guy is incredible, and I'm ashamed to say this is the first time I've heard him play.

Won't be the last.

Keep putting this kind of thing out there for those of us who think we've seen it all, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Thanks, man...

microdot said...

This has very little to do with Rypdal's recorded work since the 1970. He is a modern classicist and incredible jazz player. I couldn't tell you where to begin, but once you hear his compositional style and instrumental voice, you will realize that this is the real thing. He is totally original.