Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Raspberry Ice Cream




It's been wild here the last few days. A wave of severe thunderstorms left us with out power for almost 8 hours and the internet was down for a day. When a storm approaches, we just unplug everything! There was a lot of hail and we had a scary storm with hail as big a large marbles, but there was relatively little damage. We were lucky. Moast of the damage here was caused by high wind and very heavy rain. Just a few kilometers from here, there was devastating hail damage. None the less, we continued our undaunted research here at the facility.

My wife took this picture today of our successful experimental batch of raspberry ice cream. I promised some raspberry recipes. We are seriously doing research in the La Sechere Dessert Development Facility and this is something you can do in your own home with out any special equipment.
This is very simple, you don't need and ice cream maker and it is relatively low calorie.
For one batch, say four good servings, you will need:

1 can of non sweetened evaporated milk, very cold
1 pound of raspberries
4 ounces of powdered sugar (icing sugar)

Liquidize the raspberries to a puree. You could strain out the seeds if they bother you.
Whip the frigid condensed milk until it becomes thick and frothy.
Add the sugar to the whipped milk and then stir in the puree.

Pour it into a container, put it into your freezer and stir every hour for about 3 hours.
I used an electric mixer the first two times.
Then cover it and let it freeze.
It might have a slightly grainy ice crystal texture, but the batch we did this afternoon was smooth. I think it was the electtric beater that did the trick as it first began to freeze. This is pretty low fat, no cream, eggs and not really a lot of sugar.
I made a double batch of it with 2 pounds of raspberries...I figure in a well sealed container, it will keep in the freezer for months! After all, I am trying to find ways to use my raspberries in ways that I can enjoy the rest of the year. I figure for the next 2 weeks I will have a few kilos a day off of the plants.
Tomorrow, though, we will try it with dark hot chocolate sauce.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thnx for the posting of such a very delicious ice creams and a very good way of presentation making method......recently i purchase an ice maker with the following site Ice Maker and with the using of that IceMaker i am making many types of ice creams and i also tried your poatsed ice cream and i was osammmmmmmmmmmmmm.......thnx

mud_rake said...

Ah, my Francoise friend, you tempt my palate once again with the most perfect fruit in existence today.

The bourgeois version of raspberry delight is a handful on one's cereal in the morning- in that the price thereof is nearing that of platinum.

Microdot Family Raspberry Creme Delight. There might be a market for this...

microdot said...

Can you believe I picked 4 kilos of raspberries this morning?
We made confiture. Plain raspberry, raspberry/lime and raspberry/cassis.
The raspberry cassis is my favorite.
I have to wait until more cassis berries get ripe for the next batch.