Thursday, December 24, 2009

la tradition #2


A picture of this years Buche de Noel...this was an experimental model and the votes from tonights Christmas Eve dinner say this was a qualified success.
It was a Buche Glacee. I made a jellyroll type cake, smeared the cake with our homemade raspberry jam, then filled it with a batch of my wifes homemade vanilla ice cream....
I stuck it in the freezer over night, then coated it with dark chocolate ganache....I had trimmed an end off to make the "branch". I textured the chocolate with a fork to make the bark. Back in the freezer until dessert...then I decorated it with the holly leaves, some powdered sugar and the little elf with the axe.
It was beautiful, but the frozen cake wasn't very flavorful and the dark chocolate ganache had to warm up a bit before it could be tasted...
Actually, the second slice was much better.......
I am my own worst critic.
 Do you want the recipe?

5 comments:

Revere said...

Do you want the recipe?

Hell, no. I want a slice! Merry Christmas you guys. We just finished our Xmas Eve dinner, too. Relaxing and informal, just nuclear family, the only kind of nuclear power we advocate. Love from us both.

mud_rake said...

Very clever artistic creation that appeals to both the eye and tongue. Isn't it great living life on the right-side of the brain?

microdot said...

My most A-One Superlative 5 star*****
customized best quality Seasonal wishes to you, Revere and to you, Mudrake! (This years wishes are finished with fine blue metal flake naugahyde padded back and arm rests with the extra power heated built in massage unit) both of you, in different ways have worked so hard to make this world just a little better than it was at this time last year...
A HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT!

amy@amysfavorites.com said...

Can you please tell me where to get an elf like that? Thanks.

microdot said...

My wife has had the little guy with the axe for years. It's a traditional Buche de Noel elf (he has a little pin coming down from his boot to stick it in the cake)...and it was bought here in France.