Monday, March 30, 2009

Screaming Pope

In 1953, the British painter, Francis Bacon painted a series of paintings based on Velequez's portrait of Pope Innocent X which was painted around 1650. Bacon was obsessed wth the Velequez painting because as he stated, "It is perhaps the greatest portrait ever painted".
But in Bacons hands, his interpretations of the portrait became a conduit for emotional outrage, the utterly real paranoiac tension of life during the post war periods of nuclear proliferation. For Bacon, also, it became a release of his feelings about religion in general and the controls over his mind and his life that he had to fight.
Today, after reading the statements of Pope Benedict which only confuse and spread false science regarding the use of condoms to combat the spread of AIDS in Africa nad around the world, I feel outrage. I feel outrage that the Catholic Church can support a bishop who denies the holocaust. I feel outrage over and organization which has in an institutional manner protected child abusing secret pedophiles for years, yet harshly and uncompromisingly condemns homosexuals who dare to live their lives openly.

So in homage to Francis Bacon, who I regard as one of the greatest artists of the last century, I created a version of one his screaming popes using Benedict and I urge all of the readers of thebrainpolice to participate and support the present protest now in progress by mailing condoms to the Vatican.
I read that as of yesterday over 25,000 condoms had been mailed to the Vatican. It may seem like a little but it means a lot! If I can find out where you can obtain these classy Pope Benedict "I SAID NO!" condoms, I'll let you know.

4 comments:

mud_rake said...

Well done, microdot. Your talent knows no limits.

Pius XII kept his trap shut when the Jews of Rome were loaded on trains and shipped to Auschwitz.

Seems that Popes either say too much or too little.

Unknown said...

Great post, Micro. Great connections.

zencomix said...

Francis Bacon is one of my favorites. Great job!

microdot said...

mr zen comix, I have admired your work very much, thanx for stoppin by...