Friday, March 13, 2009

Wild About You Baby


Well, well, well, here we are in perhaps 1971 at the Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Festival.
It's a lousy video, but the man sure rocks. It's Hound Dog Taylor!
I must admit, Mr. Taylor was always one of my personal heroes. He had 6 fingers on his left hand and played a crappy Tiesco electric Japanese guitar with lots of useless toggle switches, but the overdriven badly wound cheap pick ups created a slide sound that lesser men spent fortunes trying to duplicate...only a barebone drum set and and another guitarist, no bass...Hound Dog Taylor was pure over driven treble energy.
Some where there has to be a video of his signature song, Give Me Back My Wig...baby let you head go bald!! If I find it, I'll post it.

2 comments:

M said...

He's great. A new one, to me anyway.

Of course knowing about the extra finger, I spent half the time watching his hands trying to spot it.

microdot said...

I am so very pleased to be able to introduce you to the Hound Dog.
I have his live record...recorded in Cleveland called Beware Of The Dog back in the late 70's.

I saw him once in Ann Arbor, Michigan in a Club and I was dancing, in a mindless blues/slide boogie induced paroxysm and someone opened a door into my face...I was out cold for a few minutes, when I came to, there was a crowd of people standing over me, Hound Dog Taylor was still playing and I just got up and kept dancing.....

Later that night, after the gig, I was with my friends and trying to figure out if my nose was broken and we met Mr. Taylor and got to have a drink or two or three with him and the band.