Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fascism? We Got An Application For That


This Apple Iphone is displaying an application that is very popular at the Italian Itunes Store called iMussolini. The application features speeches by the Italian fascist dictator, Benito Mussolini.
The developer, Luigi Marino says that he already to fo with a compatible version for the iPad tablet computer wich will be available in Europe shortly.
The developer says that the application is being downloaded in Italy at a rate of 1,000 a day and has been available for the last week.
Marino claims that he developed iMussolini strictly as a historical tool, but he is making a bundle at anout 50 centimes a download.
There has been a rebirth of fascination with fascism in Italy and this is an attempt to cash in on this unhealthy trend. Apple has assured Marino that it will not remove the application from sale, but will monitor "offensive" uses of the product. This was posted originally on the France24 website today, Jan 28.

4 comments:

Laci the Chinese Crested said...

I think you would have to translate the speeches for anything like this to become popular in the US. But if the speeches were translated, who would be more popular--Hitler or Mussolini?

Also, the US has its own facists and doesn't really need to import them.

microdot said...

Laci, I have been writing a bit about Italy lately and how the idiocy occuring there is affecting the rest of Europe as well as the world.
Berlusconi may seem to be buffoon, but he is a very powerful, dangerous buffoon that represents the control of media as a tool of his very real fascist style.

Sarkozy is still a friend and supporter.

Hitler or Mussolini...well in America, Hitler would be #1 with a bullet...but I don't think that an apple iPhone application called iHitler would last too long on the open market.

A question. I enjoy your ranting blog. Sometimes I would like to comment, but I cannot figure out if you accept comments.

I asked you about the Pickett/Wilkinson Book because I am actually writing about it now and I thought when you mentioned the direction of your post that it was serendipidous (is that a word?).

In any event, since I can't figure out how to tell you on your blog, I will tell you how much I enjoy reading it here!

mud_rake said...

I don't believe that Laci allows comments.

Microdot @ Berlusconi may seem to be buffoon, but he is a very powerful, dangerous buffoon that represents the control of media as a tool of his very real fascist style.

If you interchanged Berlusconi with Bush, the sentence above would still loudly ring true.

Anonymous said...

I do allow comments, but it helps to know my actual e-mail address. I've been trying to get in contact with both you and muckrake.

I stopped taking comments when my system became clogged with gun cretin comments.

Although, I keep thinking about accepting comments on my non-gun posts. As muckrake points out, they are single issue types and couldn't care less about other things.

I may go in the same direction, Pickett/Wilkinson and equality, but I have lots of other posts and rants out there.

Laci away from my home computer