Monday, February 02, 2015

More Mark Mothersbaugh, Even

I have been an admirer of Mark Mothersbaugh since the 1970's when DEVO first appeared in Kent, Ohio. Mark was a pioneering art student at Kent State and musician. DEVO mixed humor, surreal conceptual social commentary with a naive, what ever it takes approach to music that still stands alone to this day. Mark recently has had a few gallery shows of his art work and a custom art book has been released called, MYOPIA. Mark went on to score music for television and many movies. The text for the book, Myopia, was written by Wes Anderson, who has worked with Mark on a few of his films. DEVO has gotten back together a few times in the last few years, but his friend and co founder, Jerry Casales died earlier this year.
I ran across this very recent video today of Mark talking about his approach to electronic music and his fascination with old analogue synths. He talks about his relationship with Robert Moog and how Bob Moog gave him his own personal early Mini Moog prototype back in the early 70's. I had a friend in Toledo who was an early synth freak who purchased the very first production Mini Moog from Moog Studios in Ithaca, NY in 1972. I went with him on a camping trip to Upstate NY to pick it up and met Bob Moog. 
I'm not writing a lot today because I am still pretty ill. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon. I'm walking on the edge of pneumonia and feel like crap. This was the most incredible bout of the flu I have ever experienced. I almost felt okay yesterday, but today seems to have been a relapse. OY VEY..... even my symptoms have symptoms!

No comments: