Monday, June 28, 2010

Hurricane Season


I listen to BBC World Radio quite regularly before I go to sleep each night and one of my favorite programs is World Music. For years, the host was Charlie Gillet and early this year, he died after a long illness, The BBC had been broadcasting repeats of his programs as a tribute. I discovered so much because of Charlies broadcasts. I believe he invented the genre of World Music.
Last night, though, I listened and the new host, David Loewe had his first official broadcast and kicked off his show with this tune, Hurricane Season by Trombone Shorty(Troy Andrews). Now this is serious, I am so excited by this New Orleans artist, that I would pick up my Yamaha B340 and audition to play bass for this band if for a second I thought they would take a 60 year old ex punk/funk player such as myself, seriously...I'm in training.
Listen, I know I could do it....
Trombone Shorty is a 24 year old New Orleans trombone and trumpet player, and if you check out his videos, he's a pretty good vocalist as well. He has been playing since he was 6 and the trombone was bigger than he was.
His current band is called Orleans Avenue, a funk/juzz/pop/hip hop fusion....
He has played with U2, Green Day, Jeff Beck..Lenny Kravitz...everybody wants to play with Shorty...including microdot!

No comments: