Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Wild Orchid 2010 #2

Here's a Orchis bouc, himmantoglossum hircinum, or in English, a Goat Orchid. This plant decided to grow over my septic tank in front of a rose bush. The get to be about 2 feet tall and have quite a pronounced spicy odor.
The goat name comes from both their strong smell and the extended twirly lower lip petal on each flower. They grow in dry limey earth at the edge of forests.
They really are striking plants. I was really surprised to see that I have a number of them coming up here. As the ground becomes less fertile and reverts back to its natural ph, I am seeing more and more orchid species colonizing here.
Up until we moved in, 6 or so years ago, this was used a cow pasture, so the soil was too rich for the orchids. I have heard that they can remain dormant for years until the conditions are right.