Sunday, June 20, 2010

POISIN


Here is a live performance by Wayne Kramer from about 1994? The piece is Poisin, a song he wrote and was first recorded by The MC5 on their last studio record, High Time.
If you have been following this blog, you realize that I am absolutely nuts when it comes to The MC5 and the subsequent career of Wayne Kramer.
I saw him perform this piece at Maxwells in Hoboken, NJ around this time and, believe me, the little guy actually levitated. A brilliant, visionary guitarist who has somehow walked the line between hard rock and free jazz. He plays the amplifier as much as he plays the guitar.
I tried to post this last year, but embedding was prohibited. Just by chance, I looked today and BINGO!

3 comments:

darkblack said...

R.I.P. Rob and Fred. Did you ever see A True Testimonial, Microdot?

;>)

microdot said...

I have a friend who says he going to send me a copy...I really want to see it.
I was lucky enough to see Smith's Sonic Rendezvous a few times in a bar in Michigan. I have always been a fan of Scott Morgan..he stole my girlfriend when I was 16...but the Rationals were one of the greatest regional unknown bands of all time.
My Detroit history is intrinsically lined with the MC5...socially and criminally. (I was their nextdoor neighbor when they lived on the John C. Lodge Freeway in Detroit, there were some explosions, literally) When I saw Kramer in Hoboken, I hung out with him after the show and started to talk about people, places and incidents...
We both had to admit that we looked pretty damn good in spite of everything.
Hopefull the statute of limitations has run out...

darkblack said...

Some...truthfully, probably most of my favorite hard rock comes from Detroit - The 5, Stooges, The Up, Big Chief, The Rationals, '70's-era Nugent, on and on...and all that funk. What was in the water then, I wonder?

I have an advance DVD copy of Testimonial, issued before the lawsuits removed it from the market.
A pity - IMO that movie, with all its pinnacles and pitfalls, does more to cement the MC5's legendary reputation and why it was than anything else out there. Wish more people could have seen it.

;>)