Saturday, December 01, 2012

We Have Signal

Here's a very recent interview in Birmingham, Alabama and some live performance with Mike Watt and his current touring band, The Missing Men. Watt is one of my absolute favorite musicians and practicing human beings, one of the greatest rock bass players on the planet and he's been doing it non stop for the last 40 years. The first time I saw him was a CBGB back in the late 70's with the seminal punk rock group, The Minutemen...after his buddy, D. Boone the guitarist of The Minutemen died in a freak accident, he soldiered on with his band fIREHOSE, and became a force as a composer and ultimate bass player in his own projects and collaborating with many other artists. He is the man who reunited Iggy Pop with the original Stooges and still plays with them today.  He's written books and composed punk rock operas and remains one of contemporary musics greatest outside intelligent life forms. I was a rock bassist for many years and I have to admit, he influenced me. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for this guy....

No comments: