Monday, December 21, 2009

Finale and Fireworks!


Here we are back at the beginning. Today is Frank Zappa's Birthday which is the fitting end of the Zappadelic Zappadalian Festival of Zappadan. The video is the Strickly Genteel Finale from 200 Motels with Theodore Bikel bestowing his blessing on us all.
I would like to republish an excerpt from my first Zappadan post which was about how it all started for me:

"It all started in 1965, in a school social hall, in the basement of the grade school across the street from where I lived in Detroit. There was an attempt at creating a teen club. I went with some of my neer-do-well friends, 15 year olds who thought we were some how "different". We liked rock music, thought the Yardbirds were the greatest thing on earth and had the delusion that we were going to start a band and become really cool!

I walked in and a few kids were hanging around and some cheesy music was playing on the cheap tinny PA system. Then a moment of silence and a strange huge sound came slithering out of the air.

I tried to grasp it, it was too big, too strange and too distorted by the cheap tinny sound system for me to comprehend what was happening. It sounded like two giant balloons being rubbed together with a great beat! When the nuns began to run to the back to stop the hideous din, I knew that I had been a witness to something awesome!

As my friend George was being ejected from the hall, I left with him and asked him what he had put on the sound system. He grinned and showed me a copy of FREAK OUT by Frank Zappa and the Mother of Invention!"

....the original post goes on and on...but that excerpt defines a life changing moment, the day I stopped being just different and realized I was a 
FUCKING FREAK! 
 THANK YOU, FRANK ZAPPA! 
And Thanks to all my fellow Zappatistas
who made this very special Zappadan
extra greasy!

1 comment:

Engineer of Knowledge said...

Hello Microdot,
HAPPY ZAPPADAN TO YOU TOO!!!

When my friends and I started listening to Zappa we found out that we were divided into two groups. Those who loved Zappa and those who hated Zappa. There was no middle of the road when it came to Zappa. We soon realized that those of us who loved Zappa, well we just marched to a different drummer, and were willing to experience opportunities on the outer edge of what many called NORMAL. I feel sorry to those sorry saps.