Saturday, December 19, 2009

Weekend Weather Update....


Well, I said I'd give you an update on the weather here...It's Saturday afternoon and you are looking in a northerly direction to La Sechere. It snowed all night and now we are enjoying the biggest snowfall in this region in at least 30 years! Normally, when it snows, a few measly centimeters, the temperature comes up during the day and it is all gone in a few short hours, but the temperature never rose above -3 Celsius and now, we are looking at another snow storm due to hit tonight!

The picture is from the tractor trail at the beginning of the forest. The house and barn in the foreground is my house, the last house in La Sechere. The only vehicle we heard or saw today was Monsieur Boudy's tractor coming down with a hail bale for his cows.
It's very dark and grey with a haze obscuring the distance across the valleys. Silence reigns supreme. In the house is a nice big fire in the fireplace. I think this is the only thing I really like about winter.

I grew up having to get up in the freezing cold. Wet your hair and comb it and go outside and it freezes into place. Walk to the bus at 7 am in the dark with the freezing air burning your lungs. Streets closed in by the wall of snow left by the snowplows and then the salty slush...

You can keep it... But, I like the silent peace of a newly fallen snow storm, being isolated and self sufficient. Yes, I even like long hikes in the snow with the dog. The dog loves the snow, but he's an idiot who would cavort mindlessly caked with ice, terrorizing and chasing the cows up one side of the hill and then down into the valley. I throw snowballs at him and he tries to catch them in mid air and eat them....
I'd rather be bike riding in shorts....

(click on the pictures to enlarge them and feel the freeze!)

3 comments:

darkblack said...

I agree. The inevitability of climactic imperatives sucks. Stay warm, microdot.

;>)

mud_rake said...

Très intéressant! Profiter de la neige parce que, comme un arc en ciel, il est transitoire.

Engineer of Knowledge said...

Hello Microdot,
What great photos. You have a lovely place. We got about 14” to 16” inches starting Friday and finally ending about 6:00 AM this Sunday. I have spent several hours digging out of my lane (it is about 1/3 of a mile long) and my elderly neighbor’s lane. This plus remodeling my up stairs bathroom with all ceramic tile, new granite vanity counter top, etc….my satellite internet being down due to the snow, I have not had much time for anything else.

Hopefully I can get bag to writing again soon.