Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Les Grues Cendree

Another nature post, this time I was out working in the cold this morning before I had to go to the dentist for a teeth cleaning session and I heard the noise of birds coming across the horizon. I had been wondering when I would see the migrating grey cranes, les grues cendree high in the sky on their winter migration.
Here in the Dordogne, we are under their main flight path. In years ealier, I had always heard the Grues in October and they seem to be quite late this year.
They fly pretty high in big groups in a rough V formation, wheeling across the sky, never logically straight, sometimes other groups join and make a huge V.....
I tried to take a number of pictures with my wifes camera and none of them worked, except for this one.
They spend the summer in Scandinavia and winter in Africa and will fly back over us in a few months.

1 comment:

mud_rake said...

I've had several 'honking' sessions of late as our geese fly south for the winter.

Three weeks ago as I was going door-to-door for Obama, the noise from a passing flock was so great that I stopped dead in my tracks to watch and listen to them.

The grandeur of nature.