Tuesday, June 05, 2012

The Grouch Bag


Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) has proposed “reducing the penalty for public possession of small amounts of marijuana” from a misdemeanor to a violation. Under the measure, which still has to be approved by the legislature, individuals caught with under 25 grams of marijuana could face a fine of up to $100, but woud avoid stop-and-frisk searches and criminal charges. State law already treats private possession of marijuana in such a manner. “There’s a blatant inconsistency,” Cuomo said on Monday. “If you possess marijuana privately, it’s a violation. If you show it in public, it’s a crime.” Eighty-two percent of New Yorkers arrested from stop and frisks were either black or Hispanic.
You know, I don't want to be cast in the role of being a drug advocate, but we all know that almost every one has smoked pot at one time or another. I smoked pot when I was young. Smoking pot caused me some pretty massive problems. It wasn't the pot that caused the problems, but living in a small town and being different enough to be singled out and persecuted by the local police force. I got busted in my loca high school through a strange series of events when I was 18. I spent some time in jail and 2 years on probation for possession of a few grams of marijuana. The enforcement of drugs laws in America, especially for small quantities is very selective and in most cases a class issue.  I really don't want to write much more about this, because, I would not want to be seen promoting pot use. Frankly, I feel that the biggest negative reason not to smoke pot is a health issue. I don't smoke cigarettes and won't smoke pot. 
But that's me today...I would not wish that any young person experience what I went through when I was 18 at the hands of small town fascist law enforcement system run amok.  On the other hand, I am a much stronger person for the experience.
It's a very big part of what created the monster I am today!!!GARRRR!

1 comment:

Ol'Buzzard said...

No different then beer, but the uptight religious assholes who feel it is their job to guard the morals of the rest of us have been able to have their way too long.
the Ol'Buzzard